Pom Pom Sheep
Shaun The Sheep
Materials & Tools:
1. Black and beige yarn, I used pure wool yarn for the beige as it looks more like a sheep (because it comes from the sheep 😀 )
2. Pom pom maker of 35 and 45 mm
3. Template for trimming – Oblong oval template of 50mm width and 30mm height, 2 pcs. This is for the body.
4. Template for trimming – Oval template 25mm height, 20mm on the wider bottom and 15mm on the sharper top, 2 pcs. This is for the head and tail.
5. Thumb pins for the template
6. A pair of wiggle eyes [6mm]
7. Black cotton cord of 3-4mm, need about 320mm length
8. Floral wire gauge 20-22 [optional, only if you want to a bendable legs]
9. Key-chain ring [optional]
10. Sharp scissors
11. Wire Cutter
12. Fabric glue
13. Black felt for the ears
Note: Learn the basic pom-pom making if needed.
Gather and prepare the materials and tools needed as listed above.
[Next Photo] Prepare the bendable legs:
1. Cut the black cotton cord to about 80mm length, tie a knot at the end of the cord, leaving about 5 to 10mm at the end. Cut floral wire by using the wire cutter to a length of 40mm. Prepare 4 sets.
2. Slowly insert the floral wire into the cord.
3. Push the wire until it goes into the knot a little bit. Cut away the excessive cord on both side. Put some fabric glue to “seal” the ends.
4. It should look like this after the glue is dried. Get all 4 legs done.
Prepare the rest of the body parts.
5. A pair of wiggle eyes [6mm], nothing to be done but waiting for assembly.
6. a pair of ears cut out from black felt, 20mm in length, 8mm on the widest part and 3mm on the slimmiest part.
7. Use 35mm pom pom maker to make 1 black pom pom and trim it with the face/tail template for the face.
8. Use 35mm pom pom maker to make another beige pom pom but this time wind a little lesser than usual cause you want to trim it to a small pom pom for the top hair with 25mm diameter if you look from the top, and 13mm height with flat bottom and a little dome on the top.
9. Use 45mm pom pom maker to make 1 beige pom pom and trim it with the body template. You can add a key-chain ring if you plan to make it as a key chain.
10. Use 35mm pom pom maker to make 1 beige pom pom and trim it with the face/tail template for the tail, you might want to trim it a little slimmer so that it wont look exactly like the face.
Attach the eyes, ears and top hair. The eyes shown here are slightly bigger which I replaced it later with the 6mm eyes that suits Shaun’s face better 🙂
Attach the tail to its body.
Set aside and let them dry. It took about 1 hour to dry till the extent that you can work on it again without fearing that it would fall apart. Have a drink and come back in an hour’s time. If you think that it is not secure enough for you to work on it, leave it to dry for a little longer.
Apply some fabric glue to the knot-less end of the leg. Insert it deep into the body. Do the same to the other 3 legs. Test the level of the legs by let it stand-up while holding it. Check and see if all 4 legs touch the table top. Do adjustment accordingly if they are not level.
You can put some more glue surrounding each legs, but not too much, just enough for tacking the surrounding yarn.
You can see clearly the position of where you can attach the legs