Steamed Sponge Cake Recipe: Cranberries Lemon Zest
Recipe: Steamed Sponge Cake – Cranberries & Lemon Zest
Serve: 2-4 person as snack or dessert.
Egg White – 2 (Size: large, around 60g net without shell)
Sugar – 60 gram
Salt – 1/8 teaspoon
Vegetable Oil – 30 gram
Lemon Juice – 20 gram (squeezed from 1 large lemon)
Water – 20 gram
Lemon Zest – from 1/2 lemon (1/2 for mixing and 1/2 for sprinkles)
C: sieved twice
Cake Flour – 70 gram
Baking Powder (double action) – 1/2 teaspoon
Dried Cranberries – 20 gram (chopped and dust with C)
4 1/2 inch round cake tin (lined)
- Whip A until smooth and soft peak.
- Add B, mix well with low speed.
- Fold in sieved C with silicon spatula gradually, then D, mix until well-combined.
- Pour batter into cake tin.
- Place into steamer and steam for 25 – 30 minutes in high heat. Or, until test skewer comes out clean.
- Let cold and remove from tin. Serve fresh.
- Steamed cake tense to be denser than baked cake and has more moisture in it.
- If you make a larger cake, increase the ingredient proportionally. The steaming time need to be increase as well.
Measure and prepare all the ingredients.
Lined cake tin.
Set up the steaming station and standby with medium heat, turn to high heat just before you are about to steam.
Place ingredient A, egg whites, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl.
Beat with low speed then gradually increase to high speed when foam is formed.
Continue to beat until smooth and soft peak, similar to a meringue batter but softer in stiffness.
Add in ingredients B, lemon juice, water, oil, and lemon zest, and mix in low speed until well-combined.
Slowly and gently fold in ingredient C, double-sieved cake flour and baking powder, part by part until mix well.
Lastly, mix ingredient D, chopped and dusted dried cranberries, into the sponge cake batter, mix well and evently.
Pour sponge cake batter into a lined 4 1/2″ cake tin and steam with high heat for 25 – 30 minutes.
I used a big wok with cover to steam over my gas stove.
Check with test skewer to confirm that the cake is well cooked, in usual circumstance, it is cooked after 20 minutes since it is just a small cake.
Take out and let cool.
Remove from cake tin and serve fresh.