Sew Unisex Boxer Shorts
Download boxer shorts pdf pattern
1. A4 size paper – 12 sheets
2. 1 yard of cotton fabric or non stretchy fabric
3. Lining for the waist band, 6″ x 48″ (warp) or you can use the main fabric if you have enough.
4. 1/2 yard 1″ wide elastic band
5. Coordinating threads
6. Sewing essential
1. A Printer that is able to print A4 size paper, black ink
2. Acrobat reader (to open the pdf document)
3. Sewing machine
Remark: The size is for maximum hip size of 40″, if you need more, just enlarge it.
Print the 12 pages actual size boxer short pdf pattern. Remember to set your printer setting for A4 size paper and uncheck the scale printing box, otherwise the size won’t be right. Piecing them together according to the numbers stated at the corners. Cut all the patterns out.
[Click the photo for bigger view.]
Cut fabrics according to the patterns and follow the direction of the fabric.
1. Remember to cut in reverse order for those needed 2.
2. Fold the lining to become double layer and pin the waist band lining pattern with “fold” marking aligned at the folded edge.
3. Seam allowance is included in the pattern.
4. Mark sewing lines on the wrong side and pocket’s placement on the right side.
Press edges in for the back and the front pockets. Double top stitch the hem of the pocket opening.
Pin them in place. Double top stitch the other 3 sides to the boxer short.
Repeat the same to the 2 front pockets.
Pin back portions with right side facing each other, sew the crotch with flat felled seam method. Trim one side of the seam to about 3/8″ and clip curve at the bottom crotch before sewing the flat felled seam.
Sew inseam and serge or overlock the raw edge.
Sew sides by using flat felled seam method too.
Photo shows a closed-up of the front pocket and the side of the boxer short. Left is the front pocket and right is the back of the shorts.
Sew the waist band lining to the waist, with right side facing each other. The lining’s joint should aligned with the center of the back waist.
Use your favorite method to sew the elastic band. Otherwise, follow the following method.
Turn and press.
Measure the elastic band with the wearer’s waist, minus 3″ (as you sew, the elastic band will elongate a little). Cut and zigzag stitch the raw ends by overlapping each other at about 1/2″.
Fold the elastic band into the lining, pin the band to the center of the back waist, fold the band to half, and pin it to the center of the front waist. Equally divide the band into another few points and pin them to the respective portions of the waist, do about 8-10 parts.
With wrong side facing, fold the lining edge into the band and sew while stretching the band to the same length of that part. Sew around.
With right side facing, stretch and top stitch another 2 rows with 1/4″ from top and bottom edges.