This Apple Crumble Muffins recipe was modified from an old recipe I found in my recipe book collection. It is very easy to bake and yummy delicious to eat as dessert. Love the moist apple in the muffins, plus the hint of cinnamon and the chunky nutty pecans… oh… I want some more!!!
I was reorganizing my recipe books on my bookshelf and recover this old recipe book by chance. I bought this recipe book from London some 20 years ago. It is just a tiny little cake recipe book and the recipe seems simple and yet delicious. Though, there are not many photos showing all the cakes in the book but reading through the ingredients already made me drooling. Yum yum!
Let’s begin with this apple crumbles muffins recipe and I hope to bake more from this recipe book.
After baking this apple crumble muffins, I was inspired to design an apple amigurumi, will share the pattern next. [Update, the big apple amigurumi pattern is here.]
Apple Crumble Muffins Recipe
Makes 12 muffins
Prep Time: 30 minutes| Bake Time: 40 minutes
Recipe adapted from “Step By Step Cakes” by Janet Marsh Lillie
[Updated with metric measurement]
225 gram (8 oz / 2 cups) self-raising flour
110 gram (4 oz) fine granulated sugar
125 gram (4.5 oz) butter (melted)
4 tablespoons milk
2-3 small green apples, peeled, cored and cut into 12 thick slices, or cubes
125 gram (4.5 oz) pecans, coarsely chopped
Strudel / Crumble Topping
60 gram (2 oz) butter (cold, cut into smaller cubes)
120 gram (4.2 oz / 1 cup) all-purpose flour
60 gram (2 oz) fine granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F), top & bottom heat.
2. Place cupcake liners into muffin pans.
3. Combine the Crumble topping ingredient in a bowl until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Keep in refrigerator.
4. Place flour in a clean mixing bowl and add sugar, butter, eggs, and milk. Blend until combined together well.
5. Scoop 1/2 the batter into muffin pans evenly. Place apple rings or cubes onto the batter, pressing them in slightly.
6. Scoop the rest of the batter into the muffin pans. Sprinkle the pecans nuts onto the batter, pressing them in slightly.
7. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the nuts.
8. Bake for 40 minutes or until a fine skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove, leave to cool for 5 minutes and remove the muffins from the pans.
9. Serve warm with ice cream or serve cold with coffee.
1. The apple ring should be smaller than the hole of the muffin pan. If they are too big, trim off a little.