Remember the utterly talented Jenny who has shared quite a few origami video tutorials here in Craft Passion, especially the 3D Bird Origami? Today, Jenny is back again with her another written tutorial and video tutorial to make this beautiful Christmas Tree Origami.
My son recently is going crazy about origami, this tutorial comes in time for him to try out, especially during this holiday season.
Jenny W Chan is a native New Yorker, self-taught origamist/crafter, and a lover of music & YouTube. She has been folding origami since she was a little girl. Although origami diagrams and written instructions are useful, she believes that video tutorials that provide 360-degree views of models are equally invaluable. As such, Jenny offers free tutorials on her YouTube channel: Josthebomb, and on her website Origami Tree, where you can also find free printable origami paper.
Jenny’s favorite holiday is Christmas. In spite of the bitter cold temperatures in NYC, she finds joy in the festivities and getting together with friends and family.
This paper Christmas tree is one of her favorite crafts for the winter. She hopes that the video tutorial, in conjunction with the still images and written instructions, will be helpful to you. Jenny: “Thank you, CraftPassion.com, for giving me the opportunity to share! HAPPY HOLIDAYS! :-)”
Origami Christmas Tree
Difficulty Level: Medium
Approximate Time to Finish: 20-40 mins (includes glue drying time)
Tools & Materials
1. Tree Trunk: One brown square 3″ x 3″
2· Bottom Layer: One green square 3″ x 3″
3· Middle Layer: One green square 2.25″ x 2.25″
4· Top Layer: One green square 1.25″ x 1.25″
5· Paper craft glue
6· Glitter glue pen (optional)
TREE TRUNK: BROWN 3″ x 3″
1. Fold in half, length-wise. Unfold. Repeat in the opposite direction.
2. Fold in half, diagonally. Unfold. Repeat in the opposite direction.
3. Fold in half, diagonally. Lift the top flap on the right, and fold over to the left side (along the pre-existing diagonal crease on the left).
5. Push inwards on the right side towards the center. Flatten.
6. Fold left and right flaps along the vertical center crease. Repeat on the other side.
7. Unfold the folds in Step 6.
8. Flatten 1 flap along the creases created in Step 6. Repeat on all 4 flaps.
9. Fold bottom upwards, as far as it will allow you to go. This should create a triangle shape. Repeat on all 4 flaps.
10. Spread apart slightly. Reverse the 4 folds created in Step 9.
11. Refold all creases and flatten.
BOTTOM & MIDDLE LAYERS: GREEN 3″ x 3″ AND GREEN 2.25″ x 2.25″
1. Repeat Steps 1-2 of the TREE TRUNK.
2. Fold in half, length-wise. Lift the top flap on the right, and fold over to the left side (along the pre-existing diagonal crease on the left).
4. Push inwards on the right side towards the center. Flatten.
5. Fold bottom flap upwards, as far as it will allow you to go. This should create a triangle shape. Repeat on all 4 flaps.
6. Pull flaps (created from Step 5) outwards while pinching along the horizontal crease. Push inwards toward the center while pinching. Flatten and release. Repeat on all 4 flaps.
ASSEMBLY of the Christmas tree origami
1. Glue BOTTOM LAYER to TREE TRUNK. Spread evenly.
2. Glue MIDDLE LAYER to BOTTOM LAYER.
3. Glue TOP LAYER to MIDDLE LAYER.
4. Optional: Decorate trim with glitter glue & you’re done! 🙂