I found a Crochet Koala Amigurumi Pattern in the Woman’s Day website and I have some off-white and gray organic cotton yarns on hand, so I made a pair of these small little stuffed koalas for my kids in reverse color.
[Update: Sorry that Woman’s Day has removed the pattern link, please get the pattern here.]
Some ideas to make it differently:
1. This adorable little crochet koala is about 3-5″ tall only (depending on your yarn and the matching hook size), install a key ring on its head and turn it into a key chain, hang it to the bag’s zipper pull.
2. If we sew the limbs closer to the center of the body and insert 4 small strong magnets to the tip of each limb, you can make it “huggy” and hug on a tree branch or at the edge of your curtain or your pencil, ruler, etc…
3. And, and…. instead of poly-fills, stuff beads into the body to weight it down, and with the magnets of its limbs, it can be a cute memo holder on your desk too 🙂
4. Use a chunkier yarn and a bigger hook, crochet a giant version to become a soft toy.
- Start crocheting and share your completed handmade on Facebook and/or Instagram. Remember to tag us, @craftpassion, so that we are able to see them.
- Pin it to Pinterest for a future To-Crochet List
- Share with your crochet groups for a crochet-along event.
- If you are new to crochet amigurumi, we have a comprehensive crochet guide and amigurumi guide for beginners.
- Browse more free crochet patterns to make, particularly the crochet animal amigurumi patterns.
Crochet Koala Amigurumi Pattern
Follow the crochet Koala Amigurumi pattern to crochet all the parts of the koala, which consist of:
1 head (stuff firmly and complete)
Remember to leave a long yarn end (about 6-8″) for every part so that you will have enough yarn to sew.
You need 2 black beads (I used about 5.5mm or 7/32″ to match the size of the head I crocheted).
Tapestry needle and scissors.
Find the appropriate positions for the ears, approx at the center of the vertical cross-section of the head, middle of the height.
Sew to attach the nose in the center between the 2 ears.
Sew eyes 2 stitches away from the nose.
Stuff the body firmly and sew it to the bottom of the head.
Lastly, stuff and sew the limbs to the body. ~~Done~~