I created the crochet pattern for the blue 5 petal flower that I attached on “The Dazzles” after some requests from readers.
That was weeks ago, I have a tough time writing the crochet pattern as it involved 2 layers on the petals, front and rear, and they then join-up by single crochet the outer row along the petal.
I want to make sure that my instruction is clear for you all to understand. So…. in order to make it easier to understand, I photographed and showed some of the easy-to-get-confuse instructions in pictures 🙂
- Yarn (suitable for 3mm crochet hook)
- Small amount of poly-fill
- Decoration rhinestones and beads
- Elastic hairband and brooch pin
- 3mm crochet hook
· ch = chain
· sc = single crochet
· st = stitch
· sl knot = slip knot
· slst = slip stitch
· flo= front loop only
· hdc= half double crochet
· dc = double crochet
· fo = fasten off
Make 2 – front layer and rear layer
Click the image to get the free pattern in a downloadable and printable PDF file. If you don't have an acrobat reader to view the pdf file, get it here.
beg sl knot
r1 – ch10, join with slst on the first ch to form a base ring
r2 – ch1, 15sc in ring, join with slst on first ch to complete r2
Petals (5 clusters)
**r1 – ch16, turn
r2 – sc in 2nd ch from the hook, sc in next 2 chs, hdc in next ch, dc in next 7 chs, hdc in next ch, sc in next 3 chs, sc flo onto the 1st (4th, 7th, 10th, 13th) st of the centre ring, turn
r3 – sc in 2nd st on the petal, sc in next st, hdc in next st, dc in next 9 sts, hdc in next st, sc in next 2 sts, turn
r4 – sc in next st, hdc in next st, dc in next 9 sts, hdc in next st, sc in next 3 sts, sc flo onto the 2nd (5th, 8th, 11th, 14th) st of the center ring, turn
r5 – sc in next st on the petal, sc in next st, hdc in next st, dc in next 9 sts, hdc in next st, sc in next 2 sts, turn
r6 – sc in next st, sc in next 2 sts, hdc in next st, dc in next 7 sts, hdc in next st, sc in next 3 sts, sc flo onto the 3rd (6th, 9th, 12th, 15th) st of the center ring, turn**
Repeat ** 5 times to make 5 petals
fo and hide the yarn end into the flower.
Join the 2 layers of petals by single crochet the outer row together. 15sc on side, 3sc on tip, 15sc on side again, move on to the next petal. Stuff small amount of poly-fill into the petals before completely join-up both layer. Repeat 4 times for the other 4 petals.
Sew some rhinestones and beads onto the petals to decorate it. Sew the elastic band and attach the brooch pin at the back of the flower to make it into hairband-brooch combo.
Note: The yarn I am using is woven type acrylic fiber which has a little elasticity and will not fray, you can try other yarn to create a different style on it.
Instructions with pictures to assist in crocheting 5 PETAL FLOWER
- Get ready to crochet the petal.
- Make 16 chains follow the pattern to crochet row 2 until you reach “flo” instruction.
- flo – Front loop only. This is the single crochet of the front-loop-only of the center ring. I used the front loop for layer 1 and reserved the back-loop for layer 2 of the petal.
- This is 1 layer of 5 petals and I am ready to make the second layer by using another loop of the stitch.
- This is the rear side of the 1st layer. See the loop that I reserved (yellow pointer), now I am going to use this loop to crochet the layer 2 of the petal.
- Completed the first petal that has 2 layers 🙂 Continue to crochet the rest until you have all 5 petals for layer 2.
- Time to join-up both layers with single crochet the outer row along the petal.
- Stuff some small amount of poly-fill to make the 5 Petal Flower a little filling to add dimension to it. Continue to crochet until you reach the end of the petal, move on to the next petal. Skip the stitch that crocheted on the center ring.
Now you have completed the bare 5 petal flower, you can decorate it with beads and rhinestones to glamorize it (like the blue one I have made).
Attach an elastic hairband and a brooch pin at the rear side of the flower by hot glue, and the flower is ready to charm your apparel.
Have fun making one today!!!!