Poppy Seed Pandan Butter Cake
Mandy and I are back to our baking routine again, this time we baked Poppy Seed & Pandan Butter cake as I was seriously craving it during the weekend. Mandy heard that she took out this gorgeous cake recipe and we baked together. In case you don’t know who is Mandy, she is my old-time buddy known since I was 7 years old, she is also the one who shared the Buttermilk Scones recipe.
The bake together activities have been interrupted since months ago as I was so busy with the renovation and moving in. I leave it to Mandy to do the testing out alone while I am away, bad me 😬 !!!
With the new home and new oven, we resume the joy of baking together again as I am settling down. By the way, our house is only 5 minutes drive away, and we hope to do it as frequently as possible either at her kitchen or mine. Once we got the recipe tested and adapted, we will share it here.
As you can see from the photo, these 2-layers butter cake has pandan (screwpine leaves) flavor on top and poppy seed at the bottom. It is one of the best butter cakes I have ever eaten, moist and full of butter and pandan flavor, not to mention the taste and sensation when you bite on the poppy seeds. LOVE it!
Hope you will try out this recipe soon and tell me what do you think about it!
Poppy Seed Pandan Butter Cake
250g Unsalted Butter
185g Castor sugar
250g plain flour
5 g Baking powder
100ml Fresh milk
30g Poppy seeds
¼ tsp pandan paste (Screwpine leaf paste)
Some icing sugar for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 160C, grease and line a 18cm (7-in) baking pan
2. Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder, then stir in fresh milk, mix to form batter.
4. Divide batter into two portions, add in poppy seeds and pandan paste separately, mix well.
5. Spread pandan batter into the prepared pan, follow with poppy seed batter. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until cooked.
7. Dust some icing sugar on the cake for decoration after it has completely cool down.
1. The baking pan we used to bake this butter cake is Wilton Dimensions Belle Pan. The pan is about 9″ diameter (top), so, it is only about 60% filled with batter before bake.
2. In order to get the green layer on top of the cake, pour the pandan batter first then follow by the poppy seed batter.
3. We also increased the temperature to 170C to bake this cake. (Please note that all oven and temperature vary)
4. Besides Pandan paste, you may substitute other flavor you like, ie, chocolate, strawberry, vanilla etc.
Spread poppy seed batter into the greased Wilton Dimension Belle Pan (if you using normal pan, then you will have to grease and line your pan), follow with pandan batter. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until cooked (skewer came out clean).