If you happened to find some paper cores or paper tubes from your kitchen, toilet, badminton court, craft room or writing table, please don’t throw them away, … recycle them into these yarn wrapped pencil holder and get back to school!!!!
There are many sources that you can get the paper tube for free, just to point out a few….. from your cling wrap, aluminum foil, or kitchen paper towel in your kitchen; toilet paper roll; shutter cock tube after your badminton match; yarn tube, fabric roll tube found in your craft room; even thermal paper roll of the fax machine!!!
Turn the trash into treasure and help mother Earth in reducing the dumping load. I got mine from the raffia yarns I made for the recent crochet straw projects, i.e. beach bag, sun hat, and the daisy brooch.
I made them for a recent charity event and all of them were sold during the pre-sale. Many came back to me and asked for more…. so I made a “come back” but in a DIY way. This is so simple to make and if you have the materials on hand, it costs nothing!!!!
- Paper Core x 1
- Thick Cardboard x 1
- Stash Yarns
- Stash Felts
- Masking Tape
- Craft Glue / PVA Glue / White Glue
- a. Trace the circumference of the tube on the thick cardboard.
b. Cut the circle out.
- Attach the circle to the base of the paper tube with masking tape.
- Cut a piece of felt and glue it to the base with craft glue.
- Leave it for a few minutes or until the felt tack on well to the base before you start to roll the yarn around the tube.
- Start gluing the yarn from the top.
If you find the yarn is a little difficult to attach to the tube, wait until the glue is tacky before wrapping the yarn around. The beginning is always the toughest part to start with for this project.
- After wrapping a few rounds, turn the tube upside down and continue wrapping. I found that working from bottom to top is much easier than working from top to bottom.
- You may change the color of the yarn or just keep to 1 color.
- Decorate the pencil holder with embellishment when the yarn is securely affixed to the tube.
- Wait till everything is dry, place the pencil holder on your desk to keep your stationery in it.