Love this adorable and innocent-looking YoYo Plush Dog that can make many cute postures. My kids can sit down and play with the YoYo Plush Dog the whole day, it keeps them entertained for hours by trying out all kinds of funny posture for it to achieve. We would laugh and giggle seeing it being twisted here and there, giving us the gasping look with the stick out tongue. I have captured some of its postures to show you but it can do more than that, just that sometimes photos can’t say the cuteness.
YoYo Plush Dog has turned itself into a Yoga master, see how well it can balance itself with the handstand…. or should I said nose stand? There aren’t any other external support to hold it this way. Yoga seems easy on him… I am envy!!!
This YoYo Plush Dog comes with a body and legs made out by oval-shaped yoyos. The yoyos allowed it to flex easily and the friction between the fabrics helps to maintain the posture. 3 sizes of oval-shaped yoyos were used on this plush dog, totaling 61 pcs of them. The pattern of oval-shaped yoyo is included in the pattern page too.
The size of YoYo Plush Dog is 11″ x 10″ when laying down flat. It is the right size for kids to hug and play with. if you are making it for baby and toddler, please replace the button eyes with felt so that the stuffed animal is choking hazard free.
The shoes are partly stuffed with plastic pellets to give some weight to make certain posture possible. You may use short grain rice just in case you can’t find the pellets.
YoYo Plush Dog – Free Sewing Pattern
scroll ⬇️ to get the free pattern & tutorial
“Sit, YoYo, Sit!!! Good Dog!”
YoYo Plush Dog is relaxing at home with his “Superdog” sleep-on-stomach style. With all of its four legs stretched out and heads level on the ground, it looks like it is flying through the air. YoYo Plush Dog is a super high-energy dog and gets motivated easily. It can spring up and get moving as soon as you need it to play you.
Just can’t resist his big nose and the sticking out tongue, reminded of my late pet dog who has a brown nose and always love to sniff here and there with its big brown nose.
YoYo Plush Dog Pattern
Finished size: about 11″ x 10″ x 4″ (H)
Sewing Pattern: YoYo Plush Dog Pattern Template
1. Fabric, stashed, various colors and patterns, to make the oval-shaped yoyo as the body of the plush dog
2. Fabric, thick cotton, latte color, to make the head and tail of the plush dog
3. Fabric, cotton, dark brown, to make the shoes of the plush dog, fat quarters
4. Button eye 9mm, black, 2; or equivalent button
5. Felt: Pink, 2″ x 2″
6. Embroidery floss, black
7. String or cotton twine or yarn, as shoes lace and string to assembly the yoyo body
8. Batting, cotton
9. Polyester stuffing material
10. Plastic beads/stuffing pellets
11. Sewing threads (matching colors)
12. YoYo Plush Dog Pattern Template
13. Cards, for the template printing
1. Sewing machine or, you can hand-sew without a machine
2. Long sewing needle (about 2″) and pins
3. Tapestry needle, fine with big eye
4. Water Soluble Fabric Marker
7. Blunt point tweezers or an awl
Seam Allowance: Please refer to the pattern template
Instructions with pictures to assist in sewing YoYo Plush Dog
Get ready all the materials and tools as stated in the list above. I am using fat quarters bundle for this YoYo Plush Dog pattern but stashes will be good as long as you like the colors and combination.
Print and cut out the templates. The oval Yoyo template has inner and outer circle lines, the outer circle is for fabric while the inner circle is for batting.
Trace the oval yoyo templates on the fabric stashes and cut out the following amount of pieces.
Small Yoyo – 41 pcs.
Medium Yoyo – 6 pcs.
Large Yoyo – 14 pcs.
Trace and cut the same amount of batting for the oval yoyo with the inner line.
1. Place the batting at the center of the fabric, make a few stitches to secure it in place. Fold the edge of the fabric oval yoyo and sew running stitch along.
2. Pull the thread to gather the edge, forming an oval yoyo.
3. This is the flat side of the oval yoyo
4. Repeat the same for all the oval yoyos.
Set the oval yoyos aside.
1. Place the nose fabric piece on the snout, pin. Turn the raw edge and slip stitch the nose fabric along the marking line. Leaving an opening at the snout seam allowance.
2. Stuff the nose with polyester stuffing.
3. Fold and sew up along the seam line under the nose.
4. Turn and press the nose out.
1. Tag the tongue at the seam allowance below the nose as shown in the picture. Sew button eyes and brows on the top headpiece.
2. With right side facing each other, align, pin, sew the top and bottom head pieces together. Leave an opening at the back of the head (c – c’ marking). Clip curve on the seam allowance. Turn the head piece right side out.
3. This is how it looks like from the bottom.
4. Stuff the head firmly with polyester stuffing material.
Sew and stuffed the tail of the YoYo Plush Dog. Remember to clip curve on seam allowance before turning the tail right side out and stuff.
Sew the shoe pieces together.
1. This is 1 set of shoe piece
2. Sew to join the long strip.
3 & 4. Align the marking between the long strip and shoe piece. Snip to cut the seam allowance of the long piece on the corner marking, pin and sew around.
5 & 6. Repeat the same to the other shoe piece, but this time you need to leave an opening at the top of the shoes. Clip curve on the seam allowance.
Assemble the foot of the YoYo Plush Dog.
1. Gather 10 small yoyos and a shoe.
2 & 3. Insert needle a little off center of the yoyo, one by one until you have done all 10. Leave the string tail at least 4″ for tying.
4. Run through the needle at the top part of the shoes as shown.
5 & 6. Insert the needle back to the 10 small yoyos, a little away from the first stitch and center. Pull real hard to compact the yoyos together. Tie a dead knot
Assemble the body of the YoYo Plush Dog, the similar way as the foot assembly.
Starting from the tail side of the plush dog – sew a little off center of 1 small yoyo, followed by 1 medium yoyo, then 14 large yoyos and end with 5 medium yoyos (the neck side).
Leave the string tail about 5″ long.