This is the 3rd raffia yarn crochet project I did in a row, I really get crazy about it. But, after Daisy Brooch, I am going back to my other crafts, like sewing, knitting, etc… they were yelling at me for leaving them alone for too long. Guess what I have to take turns for each craft and to be fair to all of them…lol!!!
You probably saw this straw daisy brooch peeping in the pictures of my 2 previous posts, Beach Bag and Sun Hat. You are right, I used the same crochet technique for the disc florets of the daisy, i.e the first layer is a simple back loop with only single crochet, and after we finished the 1st layer, work backward and crochet the front loops with slip stitches.
And if you have been browsing through my other crochet tutorials and patterns, you probably won’t miss out on the popular loop stitch shaggy bag I have made. The petals of this daisy are done by loop stitches crochet, the same technique used in the shaggy bag. The slight difference is the loops are cut and the raffia yarns are stretched out wide in the daisy petals. If you are new and haven’t got a clue on how to crochet a loop stitch, don’t worry, watch the video in this post.
- Crochet raffia yarn, approximate quantity: Beige 10 gram, green 10 gram Update: You may use Raffia With Passion, Ivory (#7620), Olive (#7921)
- 3.5mm crochet hook
- Brooch pin
- Tapestry needle
· ch = chain
· bl = back loop
· ls = loop stitch
· sc = single crochet
· sc2tog = single crochet 2 together
· slst = slip stitch
· st = stitch
· fo = fasten off
· mm = move marker
With Beige Raffia
1st layer – work from center, crochet on back loops only.
r1: beg sl knot, ch2, sc6 on the 2 ch from the hook , mm (6 st)
r2: *2sc in each st* repeat 6 times, mm (12 st)
r3: *2sc in first st, 1sc in next st* repeat 6 times, mm (18st)
r4: sc in ea st around, slst, fo
2nd layer – work towards center, crochet on front loops only
Rotate your disc, so that the last row of 1st layer becomes the first row (view the pictures in the straw beach bag to visualize)
**slst in each st around**
Follow the tension of the first layer or else you might encounter some shrinkage in the size, change to a bigger hook if required.
With Green Raffia
r5 – r6: Join green raffia to the disc with sc and work on the wrong side, ls (2 inches long) into each st around, mm
r7: *sc2tog, 1sc in next st* repeat 6 times, mm (12st)
r8: sc2tog around, fo (6st)
Hide all ends.
Sew the brooch pin to the back of the daisy.
Cut the loops and open the raffia to full width.
Instructions with pictures to assist in crocheting Daisy Brooch
- Crochet the Disc Florets of the Daisy with beige raffia yarn. Follow the pattern.
- Change to green raffia yarn, with wrong side facing you, crochet loop stitch of each 2 inches long, around, for 2 rounds. Follow patterns for the back of the flower.
- Fasten off and leave about 6″ long of raffia yarn. Get ready the brooch pin and tapestry needle.
- Sew the brooch pin at the back of the daisy. Hide all ends.
- Cut the loops and spread the raffia wide open to full width.
This is a multi-color raffia yarn version, it gives a brighter and younger look, suitable for kids too.
Purchase the exact same material and tool used in this pattern from Craft Passion Shop.