An all-purpose owl pattern for scrapbooking, patchwork appliqué, and sewing a felt or leather charm. If you are interested in sewing as a hobby, you should enlarge the pattern so that it can be sewed into a stuffed animal. Make the necessary alterations, and then sew it together to form a purse with a zipper. Let’s get the downloadable template for free after this jump.
When the holiday season approaches, the atmosphere is filled with joy and pride. Christmas songs can be heard from every direction, and my enthusiasm for making handmade Christmas gifts has returned.
As a result, I made some Christmas gift tags, greeting cards, and general tags using the Olivia the owl pattern that I designed over a month ago.
The owl’s wings are rotatable, and it looks adorable when it poses in different wing positions. It’s a kid-friendly craft, so let the kids make the owl tag while you supervise.
Olivia Owl – Free Pattern & Template
scroll ⬇️ to get the free pattern & tutorial
Aside from scrapbooking, Olivia the owl pattern is easily adaptable to other crafts. You can sew it into charms with felt and leather, or as appliqué for your quilt and patchwork.
Looking for a larger owl pattern? Simply enlarge the free owl pattern templates to the size you require.
The larger owl pattern can be used to make a soft toy and a pillow. If you’re new to purse and bag sewing, sew an owl pattern purse with a zipper. Continue reading and download the free owl pattern to get started.
Here is the owl keychain charm I sew out of genuine leather by using this owl pattern. A metal hook and a key ring were my final touches. I made some in two sizes for a school’s charity event: 2.15 inches (for the small owl) and 3.25 inches (for the large owl). I’m relieved that they sold out quickly.
- Start making and share your completed handmade on Facebook and/or Instagram. Remember to tag us, @craftpassion, so that we are able to see them.
- Pin it to Pinterest for a future To-Make List.
- Share with your craft groups for a craft-along event.
- Browse more free craft ideas to make.
- Various card stocks
- Letter or A4 size card
- 5mm brad pins, 2pcs.
- 8mm brad pins, 2 pcs.
- Small 3D foam adhesive squares
- Other optional accessories: various design of brad pins, rhinestones
- Other optional material: Felt (red and white for Santa hat), glitter foam, ribbon, twine
- Brushes or glue applicator
- Other optional tools: various designs of punchers, various designs of stamps, stamp pad, hole puncher and ring protectors (for Christmas tag)
MORE DETAILS ON HOW TO MAKE OLIVIA OWL TAG
Plan your owl colors and your card or tag designs, get ready the desired supplies.
Download and print the Olivia Owl pattern from the pdf template. Check the scale. Cut templates out from the card.
- a. Trace and cut out the templates from your planned card stocks.
b. Optional, punch holes in the “feather pieces” (Blue and Red pieces shown in the picture) with a small hole puncher, otherwise, you can stick some rhinestone or just leave it as it is.
c. To make the Christmas Olivia Owl, you will need to cut the Santa hat too.
d. If you want to let Olivia Owl sits on the tree bunch (eg, on a greeting card), trace and cut out the tree branch template too.
- Glue the parts according to the patterns except for the wings.
- a. Place the wings on the owl to get the position you want, make a small brad pinhole through the wing and the body by using the sharp tip of a pair of scissors.
b. Install the 5mm brad pin to attach the wings to the body.
c. Install the 8mm brad pin as the eyes of the owl.
d. Glue the Santa hat to the owl if you haven’t done so.
Make Snowflakes Tag
- Punch to decorate the main card stock with the snowflakes puncher.
- Glue the main card stock to the glitter foam. Then glue to the backing card stock.
- Trim away the extra foam and backing card stock. Trim the 2 corners diagonally.
- Punch a hole at the top center of the tag. Stick protective rings on both sides of the tag.
- You may decorate the back of the tag or just leave it blank.
- Decorate the front with stamp and rhinestone. Tie a ribbon to the ring hole.
- Stick some small 3D foam adhesive squares to the back of the owl and affix the owl to the tag.
Adapt the same method but use various cardstock to come out with a different design of Owl Christmas tags.
Use the same owl pattern to design greeting cards.
Or, simply use the owl alone to be the tag.
If you are amateur in sewing, you could sew the Olivia owl pattern into a charm by using felt, or, leather for more luxurious charm.
I have made a small quantity of Olivia owl leather charm for sale, they are now available in Craft Passion Shop. They are made from genuine upholstery leather. Manually cut and stitch, 100% handmade without a machine. These owl leather charms are great to be used as handbag charm, purse charm, luggage tag, and keychain, or, hook on a nursery mobile. Proceed to the online shop to make your purchase while stock last.
Olivia Leather Owl Charm with Keyring and Hook – Large, Small