1. Red fabric – Fat Quarter
2. Green fabric – Fat Eighth
3. Red floral tape – 1 roll
4. Green floral tape – 1 roll
5. Floral wire – #22 wire gauge, 60 pcs. (15 per flower)
6. Artificial stamens
1. Sewing machine or hand sew
2. Strong thread, green
3. Tacky glue, or fabric glue
4. Jar, approx. 2″ diameter
5. Tea light candle
6. Scissors, for fabric and wire
Approx. 6″ wide
[Note: As many of you may know, the “petal” is actually the bract of poinsettia which has the shape of a leaf. The following tutorial will use bract for the “red petals”.]
To make the leaf shaped wire for the flower, prepare a 2″ diameter glass jar, a tea light candle, floral wire, and red floral tape. A wire cutter is needed only if you are using long wire.
1. Wrap the floral wire with the red floral tape. 1 floral wire make 1 bract.
2. Roll the wire onto the jar, twist the end
3. Wire formed into a circle shape after taking out from the jar
4. Turn the circle into a leaf’s shape by pressing the wire with your fingers to form a bract.
Repeat the same to the smaller bract with tea light candle.
For each flower, make 5 small bracts & 7 big bracts with red wire, 3 big leaves with green wire.
Bend the end so that it points upward.
Cut a fabric strip slightly wider than the bract’s wire.
Lightly ruffled it at the middle by either using sewing machine or hand-stitch.
Press with iron to form a vein look. You may starch it lightly if you want.
1. Apply tacky glue or fabric glue at the bottom part of the bract wire.
2. Bond it to the ruffled fabric. Smooth out the fabric at the contact point and make sure the wire is properly glued down.
3. Repeat the bonding for all the bracts and leaves, set them aside for the glue to dry. Preferable over night for a thorough dry.
4. Cut the excessive fabric along the wire.
Tie 8 artificial stamens together with a strong thread to form a cyathia.
First round, add 5 small bracts to the cyathia.
You can either tie each bract to the cyathia before adding another one, or arrange all 5 bracts and tie them together at once.
Add 7 big bracts and 3 leaves to the flower. Bind with thread and tie.
Wrap all the wires together with the green floral tape.
Shape the bracts and leaves by making some bending here and there so that they look natural.