Here is the Fair Isle Leg Warmer, to complete the set of Fair Isle winter wear (pullover and beanie) I knitted for my kids. I spent most of my time last year knitting up a storm and I am glad I did it. The kids and my husband (of course, and I) were truly enjoying a wonderful winter holiday while able to keep warm for the entire trip.
The leg warmer is 12″ in circumference and 15″ long, suitable for both adults and bigger kids. It is knitted with a poinsettia theme fair isle pattern. Similar to the Pullover and Beanie sets, the Fair Isle patterns came in both girl and boy theme. The boy design is also an unisex pattern which is suitable for both girls and boys.
The leg warmers free pattern is in written instruction as well as a chart to refer to. The yarn I used is Superwash Merino Yarn, which is also the leftover yarn after I completed the Fair Isle Pullover and the Fair Isle Beanie. If you have noted, I reversed the color of the poinsettia to become white with a gray base as compared to the pullover and beanie.
Fair Isle Leg Warmer – Free Knit Pattern
scroll ⬇️ to get the free pattern & tutorial
It is no joke for the kids from an all-year-round hot and sunny country who have never experienced subzero weather. They have a temperature shock immediately after we came out of the airport building. Though I have prepared them in mind that we are going to a country as cold as the freezer, but they still find it incredibly cold. The first thing they shouted when the automatic door of the airport glided open and the chilly air flew in “Mom, wrap me up, faster!!! More clothes, more clothes!!!”
Hat on, gloves on, scarf on, leg warmer on, pullover and jacket on, they are ready to have fun with the snow. With a set of these Fair Isle winter clothes, not only the kids are kept warm and happy, but they also attracted admiring eyes where ever they go. The proud mom of them (that’s me) feel super excited when I overheard other kids asking their mom to knit a set for them as well. So, here it is, the patterns are free, just get the yarn and needle and start knitting up a storm.
Yarn: Lion Brand Superwash Merino Yarn
- Yarn A Color: Dark Gray (Charcoal) or Red (Cayenne), 1 ball
- Yarn B Color: Gray (Hemp), 1 ball
- Yarn C Color: White (Ivory), 1 ball
- Needles: Double Pointed needle or 9″ Circular needles U.S. 3 (3mm) and U.S. 6 (4mm).
- Stitch Markers
- Tapestry needle
MORE DETAILS ON HOW TO KNIT
FAIR ISLE LEG WARMERS
Stockinette Stitch: 24 sts and 34 rows = 4″ (10cm) using U.S. 6 (4mm) needles
Take time to make a gauge swatch to check your tension. Wash and block your swatch before measuring. Use larger or smaller needles if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.
alt = Alternate(ing)
k = Knit
inc = Increase(ing)
m1 = make 1 increase (click to learn to make it)
patt = Pattern
rep = Repeat
st(s) = Stitch(es)
- Using Double Pointed needles or 9″ Circular needles U.S. 3 (3mm) and yarn A, 2×2 tabular cast on 72 sts (watch video on how to do 2×2 tabular cast-on in the round). Insert a stitch marker at the beg of the round.
Work 2×2 rib (k2, p2) in round for 1.5″ (4cm).
- Change to Double Pointed needles or 9″ Circular needles U.S. 6 (4mm) and yarn A, work fair isle leg warmer pattern 3 times. Cont until the piece is 101 round long.
- Change to Double Pointed needles or 9″ Circular needles U.S. 3 (3mm) and with yarn A, work 2×2 rib (k2, p2) for 1.5″. Tubular bind off the 2×2 rib.
- Block the leg warmers to obtain the correct size.
(Click here to view larger chart, open in new tab/window.)
Yarn amounts given are based on average requirements and are approximated.
Purchase the exact same material used in this pattern from Craft Passion Shop. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.