Edible crafts are such a fun thing to do especially when you have an interesting festival to celebrate soon… Halloween!!!! Look what I did to the baked mini donuts… I turned them into Halloween Donut Treats. We have Frankenstein donuts, Black Widow Spider donuts, Multi-eyed Monsters donuts, and Bloody-Mouth Monster donuts. Click the album to view more donuts decorations.
More Halloween crafts and recipes, click here.
These Halloween Donut Treats are not only fun to make, great for display, but they are also delicious to eat too. The recipe of the mini donuts come in 3 flavors, matcha, chocolate and plain. The green tea matcha flavor baked mini donuts are used for decorating the Frankenstein. The chocolate flavor donuts are for spider and multi-eyed monster. Whilst the plain flavor donuts are used to make the bloody-mouth monster.
These Halloween theme mini donuts are not difficult to make, all you need to prepare are some melted chocolate, candy eyes, almond silvers, colorful M&M chocolate candies and strawberry conserve. Start baking and decorating for the Halloween, be it for the party or just as the snack for the kids, these Halloween Donut Treats are just too fun to make and eat 🙂
Halloween Donut Treats
RECIPE FOR BAKED MINI DONUTS: Adapted and modified from Food4Tots
Make: 12 mini donuts
Matcha Green Tea Flavor
3/4 cup plain flour/ all purpose flour*
2 Tablespoon matcha powder*
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large eggs (about 65g) – at room temperature
1/4 cup castor or granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk mixture (1 1/2 tablespoons Greek or plain yogurt, top up milk to make 1/4 cup)
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Change * to
1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoon plain flour/ all purpose flour
2 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoon unsweetened coca powder
Change * to
1 cup + 6 Tablespoon plain flour/ all purpose flour
1. Pre-heat oven to 160°C. Greased the mini donut pan – 12 cavities with cooking spray or brush with oil.
2. Combine milk and yogurt in a small bowl. Add oil and mix well. Set aside.
3. Combine flour, baking powder and matcha powder or cocoa powder in a medium bowl. Sieve and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, beat eggs lightly. Add sugar and continue to beat until foamy. Add vanilla and salt. Mix well. Scraping the sides at least once.
5. Combine egg mixture and milk mixture with flour mixture alternately. Mix until the batter is smooth.
6. Pour the batter into a piping bag. Fill each donut cavity until 80% full.
7. Bake for 8 minutes or until when a toothpick inserted into the donuts come out clean. Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then invert them onto a cooling rack.
Frankenstein: Melted chocolate, Candy eyes, Almond silvers or sticks
Spider: Melted chocolate, Candy eyes, Mini Pretzer, M&M chocolate candies
Multi-eyed Monster: Melted chocolate, Candy eyes, M&M chocolate candies
Bloody mouth monster: Strawberry conserve or jam, Candy eyes, Almond silvers or sticks
1. Read “How to melt chocolate chips” if you are not sure how to make melted chocolate. I melted about 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
2. I prepared the candy eyes from royal icing since I have some left-over royal icing from the Animal cookies. Make them at least 1 day ahead and stored them in the refrigerator. The sizes I made are about 1/4″ to 5/8″ diameter. If you do not want to make the candy eyes from scratch, you can always purchase them from Amazon or from you local supplies shop.
Prepare the ingredients as listed above. The picture shows double portion, but since we are going to bake 3 flavors, I halved the portion in the ingredient parts.
Combine milk and yogurt in a small bowl. Add oil and mix well. Set aside.
Combine flour, baking powder and matcha powder or cocoa powder in a medium bowl. Sieve and set aside.
Make 2 colors royal icing, white and black. Place them into fine tip piping bags respectively.
Note: Get the recipe of royal icing (soft peak consistency) from the Animal cookies recipe.
Pipe 1/4″ and 5/8″ dots from white icing on the greaseproof baking sheet.
Pipe small black dots from black royal icing to complete the candy eyes. Varies the sizes of the black dots to give various eyes expression for your Halloween donuts.
Leave them to dry for a few hours. Make them at least 1 day ahead before decorating.
Get ready matcha mini donuts, melted chocolate, candy eyes, and almond silvers to make Frankenstein donuts. You can add M&M chocolate candies to the center as an optional.
Place some melted chocolate into a small piping bag, enough to pipe the expression of the Frankenstein.
Place the candy eyes on the chocolate dots. Press to stick them onto the donuts.
Pipe the eyelids, nose, mouth and the scars on the Frankenstein’s face. Insert 2 small almond silvers to the side of the donut to resemble the bolted neck.
Cut the mini pretzels carefully to make the spider legs. The success rate is not high so prepare to snack some of the failed pieces while you are cutting. I am sure your kids will be very happy to sit by your side to help up.