Edible crafts are such a fun thing to do especially when you have an interesting festival to celebrate soon… Halloween!!!! Look what I did to the baked mini donuts… I turned them into Halloween Donut Treats.
We have Frankenstein donuts, Black Widow Spider donuts, Multi-eyed Monsters donuts, and Bloody-Mouth Monster donuts.
These Halloween Donut Treats are not only fun to make, and great for display, but they are also delicious to eat too.
The recipe for the mini donuts comes in 3 flavors, matcha, chocolate, and plain. The green tea matcha flavor baked mini donuts are used for decorating Frankenstein. The chocolate flavor donuts are for spiders and multi-eyed monsters. Whilst the plain flavor donuts are used to make the bloody-mouth monster.
I baked these mini donuts with a 12-cavities mini donut non-stick baking pan (you can buy it from Amazon). Besides using it to bake mini donuts, you can bake mini cakes or even madeleine too.
On top of the mini donut recipe, there are instructions on how to decorate these mini donuts into Frankenstein, multi-eyed monsters, spider, and bloody-mouth monsters or vampires.
These Halloween theme mini donuts are fun to make, all you need to prepare are some melted chocolate, candy eyes, almond silvers, colorful M&M chocolate candies, and strawberry conserve.
(Read more on “How to melt chocolate chips” )
Start baking and decorating for Halloween, be them for the party or just as snacks for the kids. These Halloween Donut Treats are a blast to make and eat. Get your kids to decorate, too, and build a great memory for them.
- Start crafting and share your completed handmade on Facebook and/or Instagram. Remember to tag us, @craftpassion, so that we are able to see them.
- Pin it to Pinterest for a future To-Do List.
- Share with your DIY groups for a craft-along event.
- Browse more craft ideas and recipes to make, particularly for Halloween crafts.
HALLOWEEN DONUT TREATS RECIPE
These Halloween Donut Treats are not only fun to make, great for display, but they are also delicious to eat too. The recipe of the mini donuts come in 3 flavors, matcha, chocolate and plain. The green tea matcha flavor baked mini donuts are used for decorating the Frankenstein. The chocolate flavor donuts are for spider and multi-eyed monster. Whilst the plain flavor donuts are used to make the bloody-mouth monster.
Enjoy baking them!
Matcha Green Tea Flavor
- 3/4 cup plain flour/ all purpose flour*
- 2 Tablespoon matcha powder*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large eggs (about 65g) – at room temperature
- 1/4 cup castor or granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk mixture (1 1/2 tablespoons Greek or plain yogurt, top up milk to make 1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Chocolate Flavor (change * to)
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoon plain flour/all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoon unsweetened coca powder
Plain Flavor (change * to)
- 1 cup + 6 Tablespoon plain flour/all purpose flour
Basic Mini Donuts
(Recipe Adapted and modified from Food4Tots)
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C. Greased the mini donut pan – 12 cavities with cooking spray or brush with oil.
- Combine milk and yogurt in a small bowl. Add oil and mix well. Set aside.
Combine flour, baking powder, and matcha powder or cocoa powder in a medium bowl. Sieve and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs lightly. Add sugar and continue to beat until foamy. Add vanilla and salt. Mix well. Scraping the sides at least once.
- Combine egg mixture and milk mixture with flour mixture alternately. Mix until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into a piping bag. Fill each donut cavity until 80% full.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until when a toothpick inserted into the donuts come out clean. Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then invert them onto a cooling rack.
- Make 2 colors of royal icing, white and black. Place them into fine tip piping bags respectively.
Pipe 1/4″ and 5/8″ dots from white icing on the greaseproof baking sheet.
Note: Get the recipe of royal icing (soft peak consistency) from the Animal cookies recipe.
- Pipe small black dots from black royal icing to complete the candy eyes. Varies the sizes of the black dots to give various eyes expression for your Halloween donuts.
Leave them to dry for a few hours. Make them at least 1 day ahead before decorating.
HOW TO DECORATE DONUT FOR HALLOWEEN
Halloween Frankenstein & Multi-eyed Monster Mini Donuts
Frankenstein: Melted chocolate, Candy eyes, Almond silvers or sticks
Multi-eyed Monster: Melted chocolate, Candy eyes, M&M chocolate candies
- Get ready matcha mini donuts, melted chocolate, candy eyes, and almond silvers to make Frankenstein donuts. You can add M&M chocolate candies to the center as an optional.
Place some melted chocolate into a small piping bag, enough to pipe the expression of the Frankenstein.
- To make Frankenstein, dip the matcha mini donuts into the melted chocolate to coat the front top part only.
To make a multi-eyed monster, coat the entire front with melted chocolate.
- Use a toothpick to spread a little chocolate from the top to make the bangs or forehead fringes of the Frankenstein. You can use the melted chocolate from the piping bag to draw the bangs too.
- Add 2 small dots of chocolate dip to stick the candy eyes.
- Place the candy eyes on the chocolate dots. Press to stick them onto the donuts.
Pipe the eyelids, nose, mouth, and the scars on Frankenstein’s face. Insert 2 small almond silvers to the side of the donut to resemble the bolted neck.
- As for the multi-eyed monster, stick some candy eyes on the donut. Add M&M to the center of the donut, pipe some chocolate on the M&M to resemble the mouth.
Halloween Spider Mini Donuts
- Decorations: Melted chocolate, Candy eyes, Mini Pretzer, M&M chocolate candies
- Cut the mini pretzels carefully to make the spider legs. The success rate is not high so prepare to snack some of the failed pieces while you are cutting. I am sure your kids will be very happy to sit by your side to help up.
- You will need Chocolate mini donuts, melted chocolate, cut pretzels (8 pieces for each spider donut), candy eyes, and red M&M chocolate candies.
- Dip the entire front of the mini chocolate donut with melted chocolate.
- Insert the pretzels to the edge of the donut. Be careful and don’t press it too hard to get into it too deep.
- Complete all 8 pretzels as the legs of the spider.
- Add candy eyes and red M&M chocolate candies to complete the spider donut.
- Adapt this method to make a Reindeer donut for the upcoming Christmas. Love the red nose 🙂
Halloween Monster Mini Donuts
Decorations: Strawberry conserve or jam, Candy eyes, Almond silvers or sticks
- Heat up 1-2 tablespoon of strawberry conserve or jam, mashed it down if it is chunky.
Place it in a small piping bag.
- You will need plain mini donuts, strawberry conserves in a piping bag, candy eyes and almond slivers.
- Pipe some strawberry conserve on the edge of the donut hole, stick candy eyes, and almond silvers to make the Bloody Mouth Monster.
- Read “How to melt chocolate chips” if you are not sure how to make melted chocolate. I melted about 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- I prepared the candy eyes from royal icing since I have some left-over royal icing from the Animal cookies. Make them at least 1 day ahead and stored them in the refrigerator. The sizes I made are about 1/4″ to 5/8″ diameter. If you do not want to make the candy eyes from scratch, you can always purchase them from Amazon or from your local supplies shop.
Purchase the exact same material used in this pattern from Craft Passion Shop. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.