Owl Key Pouch Sewing Pattern
This Owl Key Pouch / Holder is a great idea to sew as a gift for friends & relatives on any occasion. The use of contrasting colors for the lining gives a funky feel. However, to make it look more harmonious, you can choose a coordinating color for the fabric/lining choice. Keep your keys in the cozy pouch of the owl’s belly by pulling the leaves. Not only prevent the keys from scratching your bag’s lining, when you are back, hang it on the wall or cabinet. NEAT!!!
This owl key pouch is one of my best-selling handmade in recent charity sales. Just like the pencil holder, they were all sold out during the pre-sale. I hope you like it and sew one soon. Please share your handmade photos on the Facebook page.
Owl Key Pouch Sewing Pattern
scroll ⬇️ to get the free sewing pattern & tutorial
Recently, I found a word called “Zakka”, which is derived from the Japanese “zak-ka”, which means “many things”. Wikipedia quoted that “Zakka refers to everything and anything that improves your home, life, and appearance”. Well, aren’t we who handmade little on this and that called Zakka too? If you google “Zakka image” then look at the piggy pillow, turtle pincushion, pom-pom’s, bags & purses, this owl keychain holder & many more that I have created, compare them, you will relate 🙂 Are you one of the Zakka crafters too?
Don’t worry about being Zakka or not. As long as we are happy with what we are making and keep improving it, we are progressing well every day!!!
Let’s get the owl key pouch sewing pattern co-designed with my sister Estee and the step-by-step instruction on how to sew it below.
Get more free sewing pattern on key pouches, click here.
- Printed Fabric 5″ x 8″
- Lining 5″ x 8″
- Beige fabric 3″ x 3″
- Felt: White, Beige, Dark Brown & Green
- Cotton Cord, 10″
- Split Key Ring, or you may use a Split keyring with chain
- Black button, 3/8″, 2 pcs.
- Fusible web, eg. heat’n bond
- Matching sewing threads
- Letter size paper, 1 [for printing templates]
- Owl Key Pouch Sewing Pattern
- Sewing machine
- Sewing needle and pins
- Erasable fabric marker
HOW TO SEW OWL KEY POUCH
- Print the pdf pattern of the Owl Key Pouch in letter size paper. To get the actual size, select “none” for the page scaling or uncheck the box of the “scale to printable area”, depending on which printer you are using.
- Cut the fabric and the felt based on pattern layout and get all the materials ready.
Remark: don’t forget to leave a 1/4″ seam allowance for the fabric.
- Place lining to the body fabric with right side facing, sew around but leave a 1 1/2″ opening on the side for turning over.
Clip curve near to the sewing line, be careful not to snip the stitches.
Tip: Keep the seam allowance to the minimum at the ears so that you can turn better.
After turning right-side-out, it will look like the one on the top.
Now, you have 2 sets of identical owl bodies.
- Heat fuse one side of the fusible web to the owl’s belly and facial features.
Peel the paper backing and heat fuse them to the respective positions on one of the owl bodies.
- Sew the black buttons to the eyes. Try to keep the knots and sewing threads behind as little as possible for neater finishing. Anyway, if you can’t, don’t worry, one can hardly see the inside after you attach the back of the owl body.
- Align both front and back bodies together with the lining facing each other. Topstitch near to the edge, take note of the stitching ends (refer to the pattern).
- Tie the cotton cord to the keyring, measure the length by placing the cord on top of the owl key holder. Mark.
- Slide the ends through the top opening, check the length again. I suggest that only half of the ring exposed to the outside, provided you have other reasons and want it to be longer.
- Sandwich the cord ends with the leaves. Zig Zag stitch to keep them in place.
Slip your keys into the ring, pull the cord to keep the keys cozy in the belly of the Owl Key Pouch.
Seam Allowance: Please add 1/4″ seam allowance or larger to the pattern
Purchase the exact same material and tool used in this pattern from Craft Passion Shop.