Passion Fruit Konnyaku Jelly Recipe
Craft Passion loves Passion Fruits!!! I am glad that it is the passion fruits season here, something to make my day fresher from the hot and smokey outdoor since months ago.
My friend bought me 2 big bags of passion fruits from the market immediately after the truck from the highland loaded them in. Eating passion fruit fresh from the fruit is great but I made them even more refreshing by turning the fruits into passion fruit konnyaku jelly, way too good to cool off from the heat and nasty haze.
Passion Fruit konnyaku Jelly is an easy and quick 5 ingredients dessert to make, full of vitamins A & C, iron and potassium, it sure is a healthy yummy delicious antioxidant dessert to have.
It takes about 15 minutes to prepare and a night of chilling in the fridge. As for serving/storage, you can either use a jelly mold, glasses or microwaveable plastic cup with cover, just make sure that they are safe to handle the heat from the hot jelly liquid.
Konnyaku or konjac jelly(蒟蒻) is a kind of Japanese jelly, similar to gelatin but firmer and basically tasteless on its own. Konnyaku jelly is also used widely as a vegan substitution of gelatin since it is made out of the root of a plant.
[Other names and varieties of Passion Fruit / Passionfruit: chinola (Dominican Republic), lilikoi (Hawaii), markisa (Malaysia & Indosnesia), parcha (Puerto Rico), granadilla (South Africa), saowarot (Thailand), machu bey-darch (Cambodia), Estococa (Costa Rica). Source: Wikipedia]
Passion Fruit Konnyaku Jelly
Makes 20 (5oz container) | Prep Time: 15 mins | Chill Time: 3 hours, best if left it overnight
12 Passion Fruits or 400ml of fresh fruit pulp and juice
2-3 tablespoon Honey
2 pack Konnyaku powder (10 gram / pack), available here and here.
12 oz ± 2 oz Sugar, adjust according to the sweetness of the passion fruit
65 fl. oz. Water
Mint leaves (optional or as decoration)
1. Cut passion fruits into halves, scoop out the fruits and juice into a bowl.
2. Mix honey into the fruits and stir to mix well.
3. Mix Konnyaku powder and sugar in another clean and dry bowl.
4. Bring water to boil, turn to low heat. Add konnyaku & sugar mixture gradually, keep stirring while adding. Make sure they dissolve in the water.
5. Turn off heat and add passion fruits and honey mixture into the liquid jelly, stir and mix well until no more bubbling.
6. Scoop the liquid jelly into konnyaku molds, dessert bowls or containers. Let them cool down to room temperature before storing into the fridge for chilling.
7. Turn the konnyaku mold upside down, lightly press the mold to push the jelly out. Serve chilled.
1. konnyaku jelly is heat-reversible, it will turn liquid when heated up.
Turn konnyaku mold upside down, lightly press the mold to push the jelly out. Serve chilled.