How To Make Faked Gold Nuggets
I made this Chinese New Year deco many years ago… They were fake gold nuggets… yeah fake, but I wish they were real then I can be very rich!!!! A pot of gold nuggets is a pot of good luck! Since I made this ages ago, I didn’t document any step-by-step photos. This tutorial is going to be by “words”……
When we celebrate Chinese (Lunar) New Year / spring festival, we decorate our house to make it look RED and GOLD. There are stories behind the reason, but I am not good in story telling, so I leave it to About.com, and Wikipedia who give better pictures and details if you are interested to know more.
This is a quickie project and the only time consuming is waiting for the paint to dry. The gold nuggets are only at the top layer of the pot, and not filling inside the pot. Let’s get the method and details of how-to…..
1. River stones (rounded edges), the quantity needed depends on your pot’s size. Mine is about 1 lbs.
2. Gold metallic aerosol spray paint
4. A pot
5. Rubber gloves
6. Facial mask
7. Red ribbons
Remark: spray at well ventilated area, preferably outdoor or spray booth.
1. Wash the river stones to get rid the mud and sand. Soapy water is needed if the stone is greasy.
2. Dry them under the sun or hot air (for instant: from hair dryer)
3. Cover your work space with some newspapers.
4. Spread and spaced the stones on the newspaper.
5. Wear gloves and face mask. Shake the gold spray paint as directed on the can.
6. Spray a thin layer of gold paint on the stones (8-12″ away) by swinging your hand zig-zag across all the stones. Wait for them to dry.
7. Repeat step 6 another 2 – 3 layers or until you are satisfied with the metallic gold they present.
8. Turn to other unfinished area and repeat step 6 & 7 until the whole stone is covered with gold paint.
9. While waiting for the paint to dry completely, stuff the pot with crumple newspapers.
10. Fill snugly until it is almost full, press it down a little and start putting the stones on the top portion of the pot.
11. Tie a red ribbon to decorate.