This No Sew Pumpkin Tutu is, again, a quick and easy Halloween costume to make and can be completed in less than a day if you have all the materials on hand. Tulle is easily available at a craft store and they are not expensive to buy. Feel the texture and get the soft type so that it is more comfortable to wear. I used 10 yards of tulle to make this knee-length no-sew pumpkin tutu dress, you will need lesser for younger toddler and for shorter pumpkin tutu. Also, it can be adapted into a skirt tutu instead of a dress.
No-Sew Pumpkin Tutu
1. 10 yards of orange tulle or can-can netting, cut about 6″ wide (left) and keep the balance (right) if it has more than 3″ wide.
2. 1″ wide elastic band, about 3″- 4″ shorter than the intended wearer chest, sew ends together. The elastic will expand after being fully tied up with tulle strips.
3. 12″ x 12″ black felt or faux black velvet
4. Green Satin Ribbon of about 15 yards (1 roll)
5. some 1/4″ orange ribbon for decoration (optional)
6. some maple leaves for decoration (optional)
Cut tulle to about 1-yard length or shorter for a younger toddler.
Fold the 1-yard tulle into a shorter length, cut away the selvage. Cut about 6″ wide/strip, you can use scissors to cut but roller cutter makes things faster. The strips don’t have to be very straight and precise since one can hardly notice the unevenness when placed together. If you have more than 3″ left at the end, don’t waste them, you can tie them in between those 6″ strips, again, no one will notice the different strip width.
Continue rolling and winding the ribbons on the band and fully cover-up the orange tulle. Cross the ribbon again when you’ve completed a round. Sew a few stitches to both the start and finish crossing to further secure the ribbon windings if needed.
Cut the ribbon at 1 yard away.
Spread the tulle strips at the face area as wide as possible to prevent the face from being plaited between the folds.
Pin the face onto the pumpkin tutu, catch a few layers of tulle and sew or glue around with black thread.