Do you like the pom-pom Elmo and pom-pom Cookie Monster? I will still do some pom-pom craft projects this week. Hopefully you can have some gift ideas for the upcoming Christmas 🙂
Pom-Pom is the easiest craft I found to be able to make various cartoon features. All you need is to trim and assemble it with fabric glue. This time I am demonstrating how to make pom-poms for Sesame Street characters.
I picked Elmo and Cookie Monster, the more popular characters from Sesame Street. I wanted to make Big Bird, but I couldn’t get the yellow yarn of its kind, so here you are, the tutorial for making Pom-Pom Elmo and Pom-Pom Cookie Monster 🙂
- A Red pom pom of 70mm diameter [Elmo face], attach a key-chain holder if you prefer
- An Orange pom pom of 25mm diameter [nose]
- A pair of 20mm diameter wiggle eyes
- A 20mm x 60mm black felt cut into the shape as shown [mouth]
- Fabric glue
- Gather and prepare the materials needed as listed above.
- Apply some fabric glue on the center line of the black felt. Wait for 5-10 minutes before folding it so that the glue gets tacky. Secure it in this position until the center line sticks.
- Apply some fabric glue at the positions you want to place the nose. Do the same to the back of the eyes and the nose.
- Stick the eyes and nose after 5-10 minutes.
Check if the mouth’s centerline on the black felt is joined (it should by now, if not wait for another few minutes).
Pom-Pom Elmo looks miserable without the mouth :p
- Apply fabric glue at the position where you want to put the mouth. Do the same to the back of the black felt mouth. Wait for another 5-10 minutes before inserting the black felt into the pom pom.
Ewww…. Pom-Pom Elmo is salivating from his mouth lol…
- Finally, Pom Pom Elmo has its mouth attached and he is happy now!!!
Leave it overnight to let the glue dry completely.
You can make Cookie Monster the same way too, use Blue pom-pom instead and omit the orange nose. 🙂