Discover how to make your own Pom-Pom Elmo and Cookie Monster with just some yarn, a pom-pom maker, some felt, and some googly eyes. It is a wonderful gift to make, and children will adore receiving them very much! I really hope that you are able to come up with some great gift ideas for the upcoming Christmas:)
Pom-poms are the easiest craft I’ve found to use to make a variety of cartoon faces and other features. Simply cut it to size and put it together using fabric glue. That’s all there is to it. This time around, I’ll be showing how to make pom-poms in the style of the characters from Sesame Street.
I chose Elmo and Cookie Monster because they are two of the most well-known characters on Sesame Street. I really wanted to make Big Bird, but I just couldn’t find the right kind of yellow yarn anywhere. You could easily make your own pom-pom Big Bird using the same technique, as it is not difficult to do so and uses the same materials.
- Start crafting and share your completed handmade on Facebook and/or Instagram. Remember to tag us, @craftpassion, so that we are able to see them.
- Pin it to Pinterest for a future To-Do List.
- Share with your DIY groups for a craft-along event.
- Browse more craft ideas to make, particularly for pom-pom crafts and kid’s crafts.
- A Red pom pom of 70mm diameter [Elmo face], attach a key-chain holder if you prefer
- An Orange pom pom of 25mm diameter [nose]
- A pair of 20mm diameter wiggle eyes
- A 20mm x 60mm black felt cut into the shape as shown [mouth]
- Fabric glue
- Gather and prepare the materials needed as listed above.
- Apply some fabric glue on the center line of the black felt. Wait for 5-10 minutes before folding it so that the glue gets tacky. Secure it in this position until the center line sticks.
- Apply some fabric glue at the positions you want to place the nose. Do the same to the back of the eyes and the nose.
- Stick the eyes and nose after 5-10 minutes.
Check if the mouth’s centerline on the black felt is joined (it should by now, if not wait for another few minutes).
Pom-Pom Elmo looks miserable without the mouth :p
- Apply fabric glue at the position where you want to put the mouth. Do the same to the back of the black felt mouth. Wait for another 5-10 minutes before inserting the black felt into the pom pom.
Ewww…. Pom-Pom Elmo is salivating from his mouth lol…
- Finally, Pom Pom Elmo has its mouth attached and he is happy now!!!
Leave it overnight to let the glue dry completely.
You can make Cookie Monster the same way too, use Blue pom-pom instead and omit the orange nose. 🙂