Want a zipper pocket to show only the zipper and not the outline of the pocket’s seams? This is the sewing tutorial you are looking for.
This is one of the pockets I sewed for my Loopy Shaggy Bag. Together with a slip pocket, the bag has 2 pocket compartments in the lining.
- 7" zipper (8" zipper is acceptable too)
MORE DETAILS ON HOW TO SEW INTERNAL ZIPPER POCKET
- a. Mark and draw the zipper opening at the wrong side of the lining, 7″ x 1/2″, and draw a centerline out of the 1/2″ height.
b. Mark 1/2″ from the end and draw 2 intersection lines to the corner to form a triangle.
- Cut the center line till the tip of the triangle and diagonally to the corner. Do the same to the other end.
- Fold and press the zipper opening.
- a. Turn to the right side, place the zipper below the opening, pin to secure it.
b. Sew on the lining, 1/8″ from the zipper opening, around.
- a. Turn to the wrong side, place the pocket lining with right side facing down.
b. Align the 8″ width end to the zipper with a 1/2″ seam allowance.
c. Sew the pocket to zipper only (not the bag lining).
- a. Fold the pocket down with the right side facing up.
b. Sew another line on the zipper and pocket only.
- a. Fold the pocket 5″ from the sewn line.
b. Repeat the pocket attachment process for the other 8″ width side, but this time you don’t have to fold the pocket down and sew another line.
c. Sew both the sidelines and you are done 🙂
Pocket lining: 8″ x 12″ (including seam allowance of 1/2″), to make a 7″ x 5″ internal zipper pocket for the bag.
The zipper opening at the pocket is 7″, if you don’t have the exact zipper size, you can always use a bigger zipper, I used 8″. But, if you want a bigger than 7″ pocket opening, you must alter the following dimension accordingly.
Get the full article at https://www.craftpassion.com/sewing-tutorial-internal-zipper-pocket-for-bag/