This is an easy technique to piece a pine tree quilt block from half-square triangles (HST). Piecing up a tree block has never been so easy with the basic HST.
When I sewed the Quilted Snowman Pillow covers, I wanted to make 3 of them a little different, so I added some pine tree quilt pattern as the side panels on one of the snowman pillows. You have seen the one with bird prints, now, this is the tutorial to quilt a tree block with Half Square Triangles (HST). Coming up next is the pinwheel piecing. Piecing up a tree block using the basic half-square triangle units has never been so easy.
Christmas Tree Quilt Pattern
scroll ⬇️ to get the how-to sew quilt pattern
In fact, I have a question floating in my head while sewing this: Has anyone seen this technique to piece a tree quilt block from HST before? Maybe from books or another website? I was scratching my head and squeezing some brain juices to come out with this pine tree quilt pattern. I hope it is something new that hasn’t been published before. If it is an old technique, I wish I had known it earlier to save my time in designing it 😉
It could be too late for 2012 Christmas….lol…. it sure is too late for 2012, but, plenty of time for 2013 Christmas to piece up a tree quilt block. Save up this tutorial either in your browser’s bookmark or pin it on your Pinterest board. I love Pinterest as I can see clearly what I had pinned with a picture to show. I hope to see you sewing something with this tree block soon. Remember, time flies, in a blink of an eye, Christmas will be just around the corner.
- Half Square Triangles (HST), 2 inch square, 6 pcs
- Tree trunk piece, 3 1/2″ x 1″, 1 pc
- Sewing machine with 1/4″ patchwork foot
- Ruler & Roller Cutter
- Cutting mat
MORE DETAILS ON HOW TO SEW TREE QUILT BLOCK
- a. Prepare 6 pieces of 2-inch square Half Square Triangle (HST) and a tree trunk piece.
The tree trunk piece is made of 2 nos. of 1 3/4″ white and 1 no. of 1″ square red pieces.
b. Piece the red trunk in between the 2 whites with 1/4″ seam allowances on each side.
Tip: To save time, make a longer piece of tree trunk then cut them into 1″ length.
- Piece the HST together along with the red triangles with a patchwork foot or 1/4″ foot.
- Press seams open on all pieces as shown in the picture.
- Trim away 1/2″ from the bottom of the first piece, 1/4″ at each top and bottom of the second piece and 1/2″ from the top of the 3rd piece.
- Sew to join the pieces to form a tree as shown in the picture.
Press seams open.
- The wrong side of the tree quilt block as shown in the picture.
- Repeat the numbers of tree quilt block you needed to sew your project.
It is waiting to join a big family of the quilting project.
Final tree quilt block measurement: 3″ W x 3 1/2″ H (exclude seam allowance).
Get the full article at https://www.craftpassion.com/tree-quilt-block-pattern/