Are you done with Christmas crafting? I am almost done and I am so happy to have designed and made some Christmas theme coasters this year, Crochet Poinsettia Coasters… I called them Poinsettia Coasters as they have the colors of the poinsettia flowers!!!!
A week ago, I felt like I need something for my table this Christmas but I was totally out of the idea of what to make. I blindly walked into a craft shop and bought red, green, and white yarns but seriously I didn’t know what I am going to do with them. I felt like I need to buy them because they are “Christmas” colors. I was not worried as I knew that the angels will bring some ideas to me since I have been a good girl all these years!!! Inspiration struck, why not crochet some drink coasters for my table? That’s how I came out with this Crochet Poinsettia Coasters. 🥰
I altered my original yo-yo puff pattern to make it smaller (about 1″ each) and hence denser. Similar to the wide brim hat I made for my daughter, joined 6 red yo-yo puffs to a center green puff to form a hexagon shape for the red poinsettia. Reverse the colors for a green poinsettia. I have used red and green, what about white color? It is a snowflake ornament!!!
- Yarn: light worsted DK, red and green (about 40g of each to make 6 coasters). Use heavier yarn weight for bigger coasters.
- Crochet hook: 2.5 mm
- Tapestry Needle (to join and hide yarn ends)
ch = chain
tr=treble (triple) crochet
dc2tog=double crochet decrease
st = stitch
slst = slip stitch
fo = fasten off
Starting Ring: ch4, slst to first chain to form a base ring.
Rnd 1: ch5, tr17, slst to the 5th chain.
Rnd 2: ch2, dc on the next st, *dc2tog on the next 2 sts*, repeat * 7 times, slst to the dc loop. fo with at least 4″ long yarn tail.
MORE DETAILS ON HOW TO CROCHET
- For red poinsettia coasters, prepare 6 red yo-yo puffs and 1 green yo-yo puff by following the above crochet pattern. You may get the detailed steps on how to crochet these yoyo puffs, here.
Arrange them in a flower shape like the photo.
- Use a tapestry needle to sew the chain edge of the 2nd round to the wrong side of the first round slightly away from the center opening.
- This is how it looks after the tagging. The opening is smaller and both the top and bottom centers are aligned.
- With the wrong side facing each other, join the puffs together by stitching 2 sts of them.
- Repeat stitching to all the puffs to form a flower shape. Hide and trim yarn ends.
As a variation in colors, turn the poinsettia coaster into a snowflakes Christmas tree ornament. So easy! And, if you wonder about the small amigurumi Christmas tree next to it, get the pattern here.
Beginner, must know how to crochet tr, dc, dc2tog, sl st & ch
Gauge is not essential as long as the hook size matches the yarn weight.