As fall waits for us just around the corner, there’s one activity that I can’t wait to do — paint my pumpkins! Need a little inspiration for your painted pumpkins? From Disney pumpkin painting ideas to some scary pumpkin painting ideas, we’ve rounded up a huge list of creative pumpkin painting ideas just for you.
These unique pumpkin painting ideas will serve you well as you get to place your masterpieces as décor for Fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and even Christmas. Painted pumpkins serve as gorgeous centerpieces, cozy porch decors, and festive Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations.
You may compare these painted pumpkins to carved pumpkins, and although we love those as well, they aren’t the safest craft for kids. Carved pumpkins take a lot more time and definitely make your home messier. Additionally, painted pumpkins typically last longer than their carved counterparts.
Although the classic orange pumpkin or jack-o’-lanterns are timeless, why not spice it up this year by infusing your personality into your home with a painted pumpkin? These pumpkin painting ideas are great ways to showcase your personal style; all you need to do is choose which design to paint yours.
Keep reading for tips and notes on everything you need to know about painting pumpkins. Then, move on to our list of creative pumpkin painting ideas for adults and children. We have fun pumpkin painting ideas for everyone to enjoy this Fall!
Supplies For Pumpkin Painting
The supplies needed for pumpkin painting vary depending on the tutorial. The following are some of the most commonly used craft supplies in the pumpkin painting ideas list.
- Pumpkins (either real or fake)
- Paint brushes of various sizes
- Acrylic paint pens
- Modge Podge or protective sealant
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. Should I use fake pumpkins instead of real ones for painting?
Both real and fake pumpkins are suitable for painting. Artificial pumpkins can be stored and used for more than one season, while real pumpkins may rot away before their time.
2. What is the best paint for painting pumpkins?
The type of paint largely depends on the type of pumpkin you paint on as well as the design. It’s best to refer to the tutorial for the most desirable results.
Here are some of the paints that are tried and true for both real and fake pumpkins:
1. Chalk paint – This works great on both real and fake pumpkins as it sticks well whilst giving your pumpkins a soft, matte finish.
2. Acrylic craft paint – This is a great inexpensive option that can be found in any DIY store.
3. Spray paint – If you opt for this paint, you may need to spray on several coats. It is also not easy to do detailed designs using this paint.
4. Tempera paint – This is a great option for kids, but beware, as it scratches off very easily and will not last long.
5. Latex paint – This is a more expensive option, so it’s not very recommended unless you have leftovers.
As the surface of both real and fake pumpkins can be quite smooth, runny colors like watercolors will not be as suitable. However, if you do insist on using it, then you may need a base color on your pumpkins, so the watercolor will not be as see-through.
Some tutorials use unique supplies such as nail polish, decoupage, and others! Keep reading to find out.
3. How do I get the pumpkin ready for painting?
The pumpkin’s exterior, especially the real pumpkin, must be spotless and dry. To prepare the surface for painting, simply wipe it down with a damp cloth and wait for it to dry.
4. How do I preserve my pumpkin’s paint?
To preserve the paint and lengthen the life of the pumpkin, you can use a clear sealant like Mod Podge or a spray sealant. Colors may hold up better against fading if you do this as well.
5. How long does it take for the paint to dry?
Pumpkins painted with acrylic paint dry in a few hours, but you should wait at least 24 hours before touching them or sealing them.
6. Can I put my painted pumpkin on display both indoors and outdoors?
Pumpkins, once painted, can be used as decorations both indoors and outdoors. However, you should be aware that the pumpkin’s paint and appearance could fade or change over time if exposed to extreme weather conditions.
- Pick your favorite painting pumpkin ideas, gather the supplies, and start painting your pumpkins!
- Share your outcomes on Facebook and/or Instagram. Remember to tag us @craftpassion so that we can see them.
- Pin it to Pinterest for a future To-Do List.
- Browse more kid crafts to make or some painting crafts, particularly rock painting, to incorporate into your craft activities.
- Browse more on other Fall Crafts and Halloween Crafts to DIY.
50+ Best Pumpkin Painting Ideas
What are you waiting for? Keep reading, grab a paintbrush, and get ready to have fun with our best painting pumpkin ideas. Don’t stress too much about choosing the perfect pumpkin design. Remember, you can’t go wrong if you’re having fun.