I made this Chinese New Year deco many years ago… They were faux gold nuggets… yeah fake, but I wish they were real then I will be very rich!!!! A pot of gold nuggets is a pot of good luck! I made this ages ago, and I didn’t document any step-by-step photos.
When we celebrate the Chinese (Lunar) New Year/spring festival, we decorate our house to make it look RED and GOLD. There are stories behind the reason, but I am not good at storytelling, so I leave it to About.com, and Wikipedia, which give better pictures and details if you are interested to know more.
These faux gold nuggets are a quickie project; the only time-consuming is waiting for the paint to dry.
Even though the pot contains faux gold nuggets, they are only visible on the surface and do not extend deep inside, where newspaper was added.
- Start crafting and share your completed handmade on Facebook and/or Instagram. Remember to tag us, @craftpassion, so that we are able to see them.
- Pin it to Pinterest for a future To-Do List.
- Share with your DIY groups for a craft-along event.
- Browse more craft ideas to make, particularly for Chinese New Year Crafts.
How To DIY Faux Gold Nuggets
- River stones (rounded edges); the quantity needed depends on your pot’s size. Mine is about 1 lb.
- Gold metallic aerosol spray paint
- A pot
- Rubber gloves
- Facial mask
- Red ribbons
- Wash the river stones to get rid of the mud and sand. Soapy water is needed if the stone is greasy.
- Dry them under the sun or hot air (for instant: from a hairdryer)
- Cover your workspace with some newspapers.
- Spread and space the stones on the newspaper.
- Wear gloves and a face mask. Shake the gold spray paint as directed on the can.
- Spray a thin layer of gold paint on the stones (8-12″ away) by swinging your hand zig-zag across all the stones. Wait for them to dry.
- Repeat step 6 for another 2 – 3 layers or until you are satisfied with the metallic gold they present.
- Turn to the other unfinished areas and repeat steps 6 & 7 until the whole stone is covered with gold paint.
- While waiting for the paint to dry completely, stuff the pot with crumpled newspapers.
- Fill snugly until it is almost full, press it down a little, and start putting the stones on the top portion of the pot.
- Tie a red ribbon to decorate.
Cautious: spray them in a well-ventilated area, preferably do it outdoors or at a spray booth.
Sunday 30th of January 2011
Excelente idea, quedan muy decorativos. Muchas gracias Besos
Translation (by Google): Excellent idea, are very decorative. Thank you very much Besos
Monday 31st of January 2011
Thanks, Doris. I think this is also perfect as a valentine gift (just change the pot to some romantic vase)... lol