These Crochet Heart Coasters are quick to crochet & perfect all-year-round gifts to make. Not only that these crochet coasters are pieces of useful household items, but they are also beautiful deco on the table. Free crochet coaster pattern in both chart & written pattern with detailed step-by-step pictures on how to crochet with colorwork is included. If you need more tips on how to crochet, feel free to read out the complete crochet guide for beginners.
This is another last-minute craft to make for the upcoming celebration, Valentine’s Day. Well, maybe not too late, these Valentine Crochet Heart Coasters are perfect handmade gifts that you can make for your friends and family. It is a nice souvenir for daily use, imagine they are sipping their favorite drink while admiring the beautiful coasters that you have made for them. Even when it is not being used as a coaster, it is still a nice deco to spice up the coffee table and the office desk too.
Do not fancy having a crochet heart pattern in your crochet coasters? You can definitely crochet a plain coaster by not having to do the colorwork crochet as written in this crochet coaster pattern. Or, if you are experienced enough, you may even design your design. We have a similar crochet coaster pattern in shamrock design which is perfect for St. Patrick Day.
Crochet Coaster Pattern
scroll ⬇️ to get the free crochet pattern & tutorial
These crochet coasters with a crochet heart pattern are crocheted by using 2-ply jute twine in khaki color and red color. You may use your preferred yarn type to crochet, preferably sport-weight yarn. When deciding which yarn to use, just keep an eye on the yarn weight and hook size so that the final piece won’t vary too much in size. The crochet tension of this coaster is about 20 sts by 20 rows, single crochet stitch to obtain 4″ x 4″ size.
We have included both chart and a written pattern in this crochet coaster pattern. Additionally, there is also a detailed explanation of how to perform the change in yarn colors for this crochet pattern. This craft is suitable for avid beginner level and above.
- Start crocheting and share your completed handmade on Facebook and/or Instagram. Remember to tag us, @craftpassion, so we can see them.
- Pin it to Pinterest for a future To-Crochet List
- Share with your crochet groups for a crochet-along event.
- Browse more free crochet patterns to make, particularly Valentine’s theme crafts.
Crochet Coaster Pattern - Heart Coasters
These Crochet Heart Coasters are quick to crochet & perfect all-year-round gifts to make. Not only are these crochet coasters pieces of useful household items, they are also beautiful deco on the table. Free crochet coaster pattern in both chart & written pattern with detailed step-by-step pictures on how to crochet with colorwork are included in this tutorial.
- Yarn - khaki and red (I used 2-ply colored jute twine)
- Crochet hook 2.5mm
- Tapestry needle
(in American crochet terms)
sc: single crochet
slst: slip stitch
20 sts x 20 rows, single crochet stitch to obtain 4" x 4" size
Click To Download the PDF file
CROCHET COASTER PATTERN
Yarn Color Abbreviations: K - Khaki, R - Red
With yarn K, ch 20
Row 1 to Row 4: sc in 2nd st from the hook, sc in next 18 sts, ch, turn.
Row 5: sc in 2nd st from the hook, sc in next 8 sts, change yarn to R, sc in next st, change yarn to K, sc in next 9 sts, ch, turn.
Row 6: sc in 2nd st from the hook, sc in next 7 sts, change yarn to R, sc in next 3 sts, change yarn to K, sc in next 8 sts, ch, turn.
Row 7: sc in 2nd st from the hook, sc in next 6 sts, change yarn to R, sc in next 5 sts, change yarn to K, sc in next 7 sts, ch, turn.
Row 8: sc in 2nd st from the hook, sc in next 5 sts, change yarn to R, sc in next 7 sts, change yarn to K, sc in next 6 sts, ch, turn.
Row 9: sc in 2nd st from the hook, sc in next 4 sts, change yarn to R, sc in next 9 sts, change yarn to K, sc in next 5 sts, ch, turn.
Row 10 to Row 13: sc in 2nd st from the hook, sc in next 3 sts, change yarn to R, sc in next 11 sts, change yarn to K, sc in next 4 sts, ch, turn.
Row 14: sc in 2nd st from the hook, sc in next 8 sts, change yarn to R, sc in next st, change yarn to K, sc in next 9 sts, ch, turn.
Row 15: sc in 2nd st from the hook, sc in next 8 sts, change yarn to R, sc in next st, change yarn to K, sc in next 9 sts, ch, turn.
Row 16 to Row 18: sc in 2nd st from the hook, sc in next 18 sts, ch, turn.
Row 19: sc in 2nd st from the hook, sc in next 18 sts.
Hide yarn with a tapestry needle.
Block the coaster to a square shape.
HOW TO CROCHET HEART COASTERS
- Choose your favorite yarn and yarn color to crochet. I used 2-ply jute twine, its thickness is roughly 1/16″. You may use sport-weight yarn or equivalent thickness.
The corresponding hook size for this yarn is 2.5mm. With this yarn weight and hook size, my crochet coaster came out to be 3.75″ square. The coaster’s size will vary with the different weights of yarn and its corresponding crochet hook. Choose something similar so that the coaster size won’t come out too much different in size.
- Often I receive a common question from readers asking me which way we should insert the hook into a chain stitch to make a crochet stitch. Be it single crochet stitch or double crochet stitch, I usually insert my hook into the “bar” of a chain stitch to yarn over. The “bar” of the chain stitch is the vertical line at the bottom of a chain stitch, you will find it when you turn the chain bottom side up.
- The reason for crocheting through the “bar” of a chain stitch, it will make the edges on the first and last row look identical after the crochet piece is completed.
- Follow the crochet coaster pattern to make the first 4 rows of single crochet with Khaki color yarn.
- The colorwork happens in the 5th row, where the red yarn is added to create the heart-shaped pattern.
Follow the pattern to work on stitches in khaki yarn until the last yarn-over, and pull through the loops with the Red yarn.
- Since the khaki yarn is still required after working on the red stitch, we need to carry it along and hide it in the red stitch.
- Just before the yarn-over of the new color at the last stitch of the old color during the color change, always bring the new color under the old color yarn and away from the working piece as shown in the picture, and vice versa, bring the old color over the new color and nearer to the working piece. In this case, the process is crossing the khaki yarn under the red yarn, with the khaki yarn further away and the red yarn nearer to the working piece, then yarn-over with the khaki yarn.
- According to the crochet coaster pattern, the red yarn is no longer needed for this row, thus, bring the red yarn to the front of the working piece before making the first khaki stitch.
Note: Bring the red yarn to the front so that the yarn is ready for the next row.
- Continue to crochet with khaki yarn until the pattern calls for a color change.
Again, bring the old color (khaki) nearer to the working piece and the new color (red) behind it, yarn-over with the new color (red). And again, since we need to switch back to the khaki yarn after that, so carry the khaki yarn along and hide it in the red stitches.
- When making the first stitch with red yarn at row 2, as performing the usual crochet where you insert the hook into the top loops of the next stitch, insert it into the gap of the red yarn as pointed out in the picture as well. See the detail in the next picture.
- The purpose of inserting the hook in the gap is to encase the unsightly slanted red yarn at the back of the work. With both sides neatened up in this way, this will make the coaster usable on both sides.
- Continue to work on red yarn until you need to switch yarn color again.
Again, twist the yarns with khaki yarn under and away from the red yarn, as shown in the picture and in the next picture.
- Yarn over the khaki yarn to complete the single crochet stitch. Then bring the red yarn to the front of the work for the same reason, i.e., to prepare it for the new row.
- That is how the valentine heart coaster looks after completing 6 rows (with 2 rows of colorwork).
- Likewise, continue to work until you have completed row 13.
- On row 14, carry the red yarn in the last stitch of khaki before the color change. In like manner, this is to eliminate the slanted red yarn from crossing at the surface of the khaki stitch.
At this row, besides carrying the khaki yarn over, you will need to carry the red yarn over the single khaki stitch at the center of the row, then continue to work on the other half part of the row. Bring the red yarn to the front of the work when it is no longer needed in the row.
- The same technique applies to row 15. This is the end of the colorwork, trim away the red yarn.
- Continue to crochet the balance 4 rows with khaki yarn to complete the pattern.
- Hide all yarn ends.
Block the coaster to square and flat.
Alter the colors in the crochet pattern to make an unidentical pair of Valentine Heart Coasters.
“The happiest couples never have the same character. They have the best understanding of their differences.”
Get the full article at https://www.craftpassion.com/crochet-heart-coasters/.
Wednesday 10th of February 2021
Excelente mi Niña, Bendiciones y gracias por compartir esta idea, Abrazos
Translation (by Google): Excellent my Girl, Blessings and thanks for sharing this idea, Hugs
Crochet Shamrock Coasters Pattern - St. Patrick Craft • Craft Passion
Thursday 7th of March 2019
[…] to the Valentine’s Heart Coasters, these Crochet Shamrock Coasters were made from colored jute twines. However, you can always […]