Make the kids happy, and make them a cute Minion Hat with this quick and easy DIY craft tutorial. We even make your life easier by providing free templates for immediate download. What’s more, we even include the template for the felt Minion goggles as a bonus. Wait no more, scroll down to read the how-to DIY tutorial, and download the template.
With the recent flu attack and falling sick, I have almost forgotten that I have promised my son to make him a hat for his school’s hat party the next day, all hats made by parents will be eligible to enter the hat contest.
At the very last minute and with very limited resources that I have found in my craft room, I am pleased to finally be able to keep my word to make him a Minion-inspired hat. The minion hat had been since retained by the school for the contest and hope we will hear some good news soon.
It took me half a day to design and make the minion hat, now with all the templates I prepared for you, I would say you will only need an hour or so to complete it. Simple and quick craft for the Despicable Me Minions fans!
After completing the minion hat, I still have ample time to make a Minion Goggle Mask for my son to wear as a bonus.
Look at him, he is so happy with the minion hat and would pose any style in front of the camera. We took all these pictures the next morning just before sending him to school for the hat party. It is difficult for me to decide which pictures to share, so I made a collage photo out of them.
It is time to plan and make Christmas crafts and bake, hope everything goes smoothly and I promise to share as many as I could.
Check out this felted minions if you or your kid are a fan of Minions. Also, you might be interested in making a superhero cape for him to wear. Hope you enjoy your crafting time with Craft Passion’s patterns and tutorials. Have a great day!
- Start crafting and share your completed handmade on Facebook and/or Instagram. Remember to tag us, @craftpassion, so that we are able to see them.
- Pin it to Pinterest for a future To-Do List.
- Share with your DIY groups for a craft-along event.
- Browse more craft ideas to make, particularly for kid’s crafts.
DIY Minion Hat
Simple and quick craft for the Despicable Me Minions fans! Make the kids happy, and make them a cute Minion Hat with this quick and easy DIY craft tutorial. With all the templates I prepared for you, I would say you will only need an hour or so to complete it. Make a Minion Goggle Mask to pair with the hat too!
- Minions Hat Templates
- Colored Corrugated Cardboard, yellow, 22'' x 22"
- Colored Corrugated Cardboard, silver-grey, 3" x 6"
- Cardboard, white, 3" x 5"
- Paper, black, 18" x 1/2"
- Acrylic paint, brown, black and white
- Mod Podge or white PV craft glue
- Black yarns
Minion Goggle Mask
- Fine tip brushes
- Bone folder
- Awl tool
- Foam brush
- Math compass and ruler
Minion Google Mask
- White color pencil
HOW TO DIY MINION HAT & MASK
- Download and print the minions’ hat and mask templates, or you can draw them directly on the cardboard. After downloading, open it in Adobe Reader and print it on paper. Don’t print from the browser, the size might not be on the correct scale.
- Draw the hat templates directly on the yellow corrugated cardboard, and trace or draw the Minion goggle and eyes on the respective cardboard. Cut all templates with scissors.
You may trim the Minions eye a little different than I did.
- Color the irises of the eyes in dark brown acrylic paint.
- Paint the pupils and outline the eyes with black acrylic paint.
- Highlight the eyes with some white acrylic paint.
- Press the folding lines of the hat top and brim with the bone folder to make them easier to fold smoothly.
- Apply glue to the glue seam allowance of the right side of the brim.
- Attach the band to the brim and make sure they are glued well to each other.
- Flip the hat upside down and glue the top to the band in the same manner.
- A finished basic yellow cardboard hat. It is ready to be decorated into Minions hat.
- Glue the black strap to the center of the hatband.
- Assemble and glue the Minions’ eyes and goggles together, then glue them on the hat. Hold them with your hand until they adhered well to the curve of the hatband.
- Tie a bunch of black yarns together at the center.
Poke the same number of holes on the hat top as the number of yarns you have tied.
- Apply a small amount of craft glue to the end of the yarn, and twist each of them to make it pointy and stiff so that they can pass through the tiny hole easily.
Insert yarn end from inside of the hat through the hole.
- Apply a generous amount of glue to the knot of the yarn inside the hat to fix it there.
- Trim the hair to about 1" – 1 1/2" long.
Set it aside for at least 2 hours before wearing it.
I also added a smile on the brim the next day with a black permanent marker.
- Trace and cut goggles template out from felt.
Fold 1/2" from the sideband, and glue the edge with all-purpose quick dry adhesive to make a pocket at each side. Clamp them with clothes clips for about 30 minutes for a permanent bond.
Measure and cut the correct length of an elastic cord according to the wearer’s size, insert the elastic band through the pocket of the goggle band, tie the ends and hide in one of the pockets.
Get the full article at https://www.craftpassion.com/diy-minion-hat/.
Purchase the exact same material used in this pattern from Craft Passion Shop. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tuesday 15th of August 2017
Thank you very much for good idea of the Minions Hat!
Wednesday 1st of July 2015
I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your Minion hat! You can see it here:
If you have other kid-friendly craft tutorials, we'd love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for an awesome project idea!
Friday 3rd of July 2015
Thank you, Cindy, for linking the Minion Hat in your great site :)