A great addition to any Halloween-themed office or study. Easy-to-follow instructions for making a Halloween mummy holder complete with a pesky spider.
Remember the yarn wrapped recycle pencil holder I made? I used the same concept to make this mummy holder. Instead of yarn, this time I wrap the pencil holder with torn white fabric strips after inspired by this post with the googly eyes. The mummy holder is perfect to use as a pencil holder, napkin holder, cutlery holder, or treat holder during Halloween.
This mummy holder is easy to make and kids can help in tearing the fabric into strips and wrapping it up. You can always adapt this method to wrap around a clean used food can or container.
Make a quick and easy Mummy Holder with an irritating spider climbing on it……
- Start crafting and share your completed handmade on Facebook and/or Instagram. Remember to tag us, @craftpassion, so that we are able to see them.
- Pin it to Pinterest for a future To-Do List.
- Share with your DIY groups for a craft-along event.
- Browse more craft ideas to make, particularly for Halloween crafts.
- Cardboard tube
- Thick cardboard – the size of the tube’s diameter
- White felt – the size of the tube’s diameter
- White fabric
- Googly eyes
- Small piece of black paper or black-shaded paper
- Craft Glue / PVA Glue / White Glue
- Masking tape
- Spiders (for decorations)
- Prepare the fundamental pencil holder by attaching a round base and felt to the cardboard tube. This tutorial shows how to do it.
Get the rest of the materials ready.
- Glue the black backing paper to the pencil holder.
Put some glue at the back of the googly eyes and stick them on the black backing paper.
- Snip the edge of the white fabric, about 1″ apart. Tear the strips of mummy wrapping fabric from your white fabrics.
About 3-4 strips of 1/2 yard length each should be sufficient.
- Join the strips by tying them in dead knots.
Dot some glue at the bottom of the pencil holder, bond the strip end to it and wrap the mummy all the way up.
Tear and tie to add additional fabric strip length if it is not sufficient.
- Tag the end of the strip within the wrapping and glue it there.