So what’s the next project to dress up Cosmo, the black cat amigurumi, into a Halloween Witch? A Broomstick, of course, he needs a Witch Broom to fly. Thus, moving on from our Witch Hat crochet pattern, we will make a witch broom for our Cosmo. Scroll down to get the easy tutorial on how to DIY a broomstick.
Through illustrations and images, people believed Witches could fly using an ordinary household object; the broomstick 🧹 But, can they really? Well, the act of “flying” was caused by a type of drug they brewed called tropane alkaloids. When applied topically, this “flying ointment” produced hallucinations that caused the Witches to hop or dance around on a broomstick as if they were flying.
With that said, no Witch Halloween costume is complete without a broomstick! If you are interested in the little pumpkin next to the witch broom, here is the link to the free amigurumi pumpkin crochet pattern. The pumpkin crochet patterns consist of 3 different sizes; the one shown above is the smallest size.
DIY Witch Broom
scroll ⬇️ to get the How To DIY tutorial
Good news for non-crocheter, as you can see, unlike the Halloween Witch costumes, which are made from crochet craft, this Witch broom is not a crochet project. That means anyone without crochet skills can make it, and it is super easy to complete. It is so easy that kids are welcome to make this.
What you need are an 8″ long ¼” twig, raffia yarn in kraft color, all-purpose adhesive or hot glue gun, 3″ x 4″ cardboard, and a pair of scissors. No raffia yarn? No worries, you may replace the raffia yarn with another type of yarn; just ensure it has stiff fiber like twine, linen yarn, stiffened yarn, or paper yarn.
Begin by winding the yarn roughly 40 times around the cardboard, then insert a new yarn strap through the loops before removing it from the cardboard. Next, place the twig on the yarn, apply some all-purpose adhesive at the twig where the area is in contact with the yarn. Finish off by tying another strip of yarn to the broom’s brush and trim all excess yarn. Get the details instructions and photo details in the How-To section below.
With this tutorial of DIY Broomstick, one can easily adapt the same method to make a bigger broomstick for human Halloween or cosplay costume. For a real-size broomstick, you can use a longer and a bigger twig. Well, if a real twig could be a little heavy, how about using PVC pipe if you can’t find anything lighter to use. A longer and fuller broom brush is all you need for a bigger broomstick. Be it big or small, enjoy the process of creating!
- Raffia Yarn in Kraft color, or, equivalent, preferably yarn of stiffer fiber like twine, linen yarn, paper yarn
- 1/4" Twig, 8" long
- UHU All-Purpose adhesive
- Cardboard, 3" x 4"
HOW TO DIY WITCH BROOM
- Gather materials and tools described in the list. You may replace the raffia yarn with an alternative yarn, preferably yarns with stiff fiber like twine, linen yarn, or paper yarn.
- Wind the raffia yarn around the cardboard at the 3" length about 40 rounds. If you prefer a longer brush, then you can wind it at the 4" length.
- With a new strand of raffia yarn, strap the wound yarn and carefully remove the loops from the cardboard.
- Place the twig on the yarn, apply some all-purpose adhesive at the twig where the area is in contact with the yarn.
- Tie the strap securely and blend the tie and knit into the broom. Apply some adhesive to glue a few strips of yarns cover them if needed.
- Finally, tie a strip of yarn to the broom brush and make a ribbon bow. Trim all excess yarn.
Get the entire Witch Costume free pattern and tutorial.
Depending on the speed and hours you are spending on the project, the total time needed is only an approximation.
You are allowed to make and sell from this pattern on small-scale production. However, you are not allowed to publish the patterns and pictures in any form without the prior written permission of Craft Passion.
For the full article, visit: https://www.craftpassion.com/diy-witch-broom/